Wednesday 2 November 2011

Unit 2: Space - The Neverending Story

Hello Everyone,

Calling in with my introduction to Unit 2, I was given my chosen folder via email & I have to say taking into account my recent trip to Disney I have a great direction to take this unit by the horns (so to speak).

I drew "The Never Ending Story" by Michael Ende, an interesting tale following boy hero Bastion Balthazar Bux as he travels deep into a novel entitled "The Never Ending Story" to help boy hero "Atreyu" save the dream scape "Fantastica" from the perilous "Nothing"(ness).


I found the chapters I read (I, XVI & XIV) very familiar mainly due to my recent trip to Orlando Florida namely for Disneyland. Novelist Michael Ende's novel "The Never Ending Story was in the pursuit of a dream, where one could be absorbed by something real, a material object (a book) and become and play the active role of a dream.


The similarity to Disney is splashed across in generations of cartoons, films, music & games. I will summarise this thought with a quote from the Disney fireworks display which I had the pleasure of viewing for the 3rd time in my life.

"No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
the dream that you wish will come true"

- Extract from A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes from Cinderella (played as the fireworks are ignited following Tinkerbell as she fly's from Cinderellas castle)


Light is projected onto the Castle with various effects and art styles ranging from child like colour blotches to picturesque black and white sketch.

Disneyland is a place of dreams, of child-like pursuits. The same vibe is present Michael Ende's "Never Ending Story" only it is intended more for adults. Children can appreciate its ideals as adults can appreciate Disneyland's. Try as adults may, when something takes your breath away one cannot help but grin in amazement as another burst of colour erupts from the sky. Both of these idol isms are truly the work of "Magic".


...and to think it all started with a man & a mouse.

Over & Out,
xXStItChXx

No comments:

Post a Comment